Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Letter to an Autistic child

Dear child,

There are some things I want you to know. I want you to know that there's nothing wrong with you. You don't need to be fixed or changed or healed or recovered. You were created with a different neurological wiring, and neurodiversity is what makes our world a more interesting place.

There will be ignorant people who will want to find a cure for you. They will think that you need to be as "normal" as possible in order to fit in and flourish. This is not true. You are perfect just the way you are, and even though you might need support and accommodations at times, that doesn't mean you're flawed. You will flourish, and you will be successful.

I know it's hard to live in a world where everything seems too loud, too fast, too tight, and too bright. It's hard to live in a world where you're misunderstood. It's hard to live in a world where most people seem like an enigma. I know this, and I'm sorry that this world isn't more understanding of you.

But where would we be without you? You are sensitive, you are guileless, you are honest, you are genuine, you are Real. What you see is what you get, right? In a world full of so many false and fake people, you are Real.

I know it's scary and I know sometimes you can't talk and even when you do people don't always listen. But don't give up. Don't stop speaking. The world needs to hear things that only you can say. They need things to be done that only you can do. Because you are Valuable and you are full of infinite Worth. Don't allow others to silence you or change you.

The last thing I want you to know is that I'm proud of you. You are so strong. You are a fighter. Don't ever stand down. Push further up, push further in. Because even if some don't realize it yet, we need you.

With love,

Rae

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I would read it to my kids:) Thanks for validating my journey today and encouraging me in an Aspie mindset:)
    Love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your words with me. You are so Valued.